We have been brewing Goat’s Ethiopian Sidemo medium-dark roasts for the last two days.
20g power : 225g of water : ~170g - 172g into the cup. We use the paper filter and swiss gold, which ensure a clean cup every time. The grind size was at the lower-end of the espresso range. We drink this as a black coffee.
This morning, we brewed a couple of times.
For the first cup, we poured 75% water in first, added the coffee, did a quick stir, added the remaining 25% water in a quick circle, covered and brewed for 30 mins.
There was no change in the second cup except that we added all the water in first.
Both cups were light and sweet marked with fruity citrus-cum-lemon grass for us. We can’t pick both of them apart except the first cup had a tiny bitter taste; despite the tiny bitter notes, the first cup was also excellent.
One thing, which I had learnt from Mark @MWJB was the brews can’t possibly give an over-extracted coffee. Therefore, the tad bitter note might have been the result of adding a quarter of the water after sinking the crust.
In short, we definitely prefer the second cup.