I cleaned out my DF83 today. The last time I did this was the beginning of December, 5 months ago. We usually make 2 shots of espresso every day, so that’s about 5 kgs of grinding by my estimate since the last time I cleaned out my DF83. I think this is definitely not best practice, since it’s been so long, but thought I’d share anyway.
As you can see from the photos, the opening, bottom burr, and top burr were pretty clean. The grinding chamber was also very clean.
There was some accumulation of grounds in the chute. The total weight of that was 1.5g, which I think is not bad for 5 months of accumulation. In addition, it took a little work to get that out, and I’m pretty aggressive with the bellows, so I think that there isn’t much exchange retention from that accumulation in normal use. There was a very small amount of grounds that were stuck in the opening from the grinding chamber to the chute, but that was a negligible amount.
Not bad for 5 months, I’d say. I’d love to hear other folks’ experience with their grinders to see how the 1.5g I got out compares.