So I got round to installing the screen and controller. Ideally you get a new top laser cut, but due to minimum charges from all the companies I approached this was going to be more than £100, which seemed a bit overkill for a hole.
Step 1, I cut a hole as carefully as I could with a dremel, and then mounted the screen (this is done by epoxying bolts onto the underside):
While this was reasonably neat. It wasn’t quite as attractive as I wanted, so I designed and 3D printed a small cover to hide the cut edge. This was attached with double sided tape:
Here’s the final look zoomed back:
It’s very handy having the little screen, as it lets me see the pressure, temperature, shot time etc. Also, I can trigger all the functions from there. While it’s interesting to see the output on a screen, it’s nice not to need your phone if just wanting to make a quick coffee.