As the title says, the time has come for me to downsize to a single dose grinder. I dont like having to leave beans in my Compak and have tried running it near empty with a quick purge each time but a) this is extremely wasteful, b) it is not designed to run that way and I get grind size inconsistency.
My goldilocks scenario would be:
- Primarily an espresso grinder roughly as capable as my current Compak F10 (taking a hit in build & longevity, but hopefully gaining a lot in bean freshness and grind consistency when single dosing)
- Can quickly transition to a serviceable filter grind for 1-2 cups a week - adjustment akin to the niche, df64 etc would be awesome
- Small form factor
- Low mess & hassle
- Aesthetic: important
- Cant take a year to grind a single shot, I have become painfully accustomed to 3s grind times
Given the sub £1k single doser market has exploded the past 5 years, I would love to hear thoughts and any answers to the following Qs from anyone who has done what I am planning:
- What grinder did you switch to?
- Are you happy with it?
- What do you think is the best on offer right now (I guess with criteria above in mind)?
- To the average palate, does flat vs conical matter? (I am craving a move back to flat for more clarity, despite the Niche…)
- How much does the workflow of a flat burr single doser get old/tiring?
- I have been dubious of conical burr alignment the past year or so (more planes for things to be marginally off), do you think the Niche suffers from this at all/does this matter in the grand scheme of things?
- Have you been following the release of the Timemore Sculptor this month? The 78S excites me but I fear it is a lot of good looking marketing (and a beautiful design) for what may be a bit of a dud with poor 3rd party burr options
Loads of questions here obviously, and not expecting a reply to all, just really any thoughts that people have to weigh in with would be greatly appreciated!